qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] openbios.git mirror on git.qemu.org

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] openbios.git mirror on git.qemu.org
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 21:47:14 +0100

On 19/05/15 13:55, Andreas Färber wrote:

> Am 19.05.2015 um 12:42 schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
>> On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 12:32:59PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>>> I noticed last week that the openbios.git mirror on git.qemu.org hadn't
>>> been updated after a commit I made to SVN trunk, and after some
>>> investigation work by Stefan it seems that the upstream remote is given
>>> as a git:// URL pointing directly to a repository at a 64.62.x.x IP address.
>>>
>>> This is different from the official upstream SVN repository of
>>> svn://openbios.org/openbios/ which means we're pointing at an additional
>>> mirror somewhere.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recall how/when the openbios.git mirror was setup on
>>> git.qemu.org, whether it is still maintained, and if it would be
>>> preferable to switch to the official upstream?
>>
>> Ping.  Should we stick with an old mirror of OpenBIOS for QEMU 2.4 or
>> switch to the official upstream repo?
>
> I don't quite understand the question. OpenBIOS is still using SVN
> AFAIK. QEMU is using Git, so I thought we always need a Git mirror for
> submodules? Has the git-svn integration been extended to svn submodules
> and which versions of git support that?

I'm not sure why submodules make anything different, but for an SVN
repository I can't see why the nightly cron job on git.qemu.org can't
just run "git svn fetch && git svn rebase" directly against OpenBIOS SVN
to update its master branch?

> Unless I'm missing something, the only question is which mirror do we
> use, not whether we use a mirror.

The problem at the moment is that the repository on git.qemu.org is
pointing to a git repository on a plain IP address (with no sensible
reverse DNS) and so far no-one has admitted ownership. This was a
problem last week when the repository stopped syncing with OpenBIOS SVN
trunk and both Stefan and myself had no idea who to contact in order to
get it fixed.

ATB,

Mark.