qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multiple monitors

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multiple monitors
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 08:20:07 +0200

On Fr, 2015-04-17 at 12:45 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What are the possible ways to use multiple monitors with qemu (running
> locally)?

> (I asked this on qemu-discuss last week, but got no responses, so I'm trying
> here.)
>
> I read somewhere that spice supports multiple monitors. But I'm worried that
> with spice being network-based, it won't be fast enough for video playback
> (I've tried vnc, and it was too slow). Is it possible to have one monitor use
> sdl and the other to use spice/vnc/anything?

For a multihead setup easiest is spice+qxl indeed.  virtio-gpu will be
able to do that too, but it isn't merged yet.

For multiseat see docs/multiseat.txt

> And I saw somewhere something about multiple monitors in sdl2, but I can't
> find
> anything relevant in the manpage. Does sdl2 support multiple monitors?

Yes.  With sdl/vnc you can switch between monitors using hotkeys.  with
sdl2 you get a separate window.  gtk allows both (switching using
hotkeys or tabs, but also showing tabs as separate windows).

cheers,
  Gerd