qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] hw/arm/virt: Add a "generic-ehci" USB controller

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] hw/arm/virt: Add a "generic-ehci" USB controller to ARM virt model
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 18:23:33 +0100

On 3 April 2015 at 16:30, Jérémy Fanguède
<address@hidden> wrote:
> You are right, since it is now possible to use a PCI controller, we
> can use USB through it. This patch for completeness doesn't rely on
> PCI.
> Also, we have this patch for a long time, we just share it with the
> world, this kind of modifications could also be implemented in other
> models, like vexpress, if it's needed.

OK. My feeling on this is:
(1) for virt, I'd like to keep it minimal to the extent that
we can, since every new device model in it is extra attack
surface for somebody trying to break out of the VM; so USB
via PCI seems preferable (since the person configuring the VM
can easily not provide USB if they don't want it)

(2) for vexpress USB would definitely be nice, but we would
need a model of the USB controller on the vexpress board
(it's a Philips ISP1761).

-- PMM