qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 00/11] Net patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 00/11] Net patches
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:17:44 +0000

On 12 March 2015 at 17:50, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> This pull request contains patches that fail mingw compilation and
> glib version requirements.  They passed in patchew:
> http://qemu.patchew.org/testing/log/address@hidden
>
> Peter's build script is here:
> https://git.linaro.org/people/peter.maydell/misc-scripts.git/blob/HEAD:/remake-merge-builds
>
> It would be great to add build environments from Peter's script so
> that patchew can flag patches that will fail.

I think the key thing is to try as much as possible to cover
the build environments that are at the extremes of the
envelope that we support:
 * OSX
 * Windows
 * big endian hosts
 * 32 bit hosts
 * non-x86 boxes
 * ancient versions of glib, etc
 * really old gcc
 * really new gcc
 * clang
 * static binaries

We can generally assume that submitters and submaintainers will
have done a test on x86-64 Linux on some reasonably recent distro,
so that's actually the least interesting thing to do in an
automated test.

Of course the catch is that the weirdo build environments are
the ones that are hardest to set up and have in an automated
test system :-)

-- PMM