qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Universal encryption on QEMU I/O channels

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Universal encryption on QEMU I/O channels
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 16:41:51 +0000

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 05:33:36PM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 4 February 2015 at 13:49, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Remind me: what GLib version are we targeting, and why?
> >
> > Our current minimum is 2.12 (or 2.20 in Windows specific code),
> > and the reason is RHEL5/Centos 5.
>
> Any idea when we can move on?
>
> Don't get me started on the wisdom of developing or deploying upstream
> QEMU on RHEL-*5*.

If we want to make use of GIO, we would need  2.28 at a bare minimum.
This is present in RHEL-6 vintage onwards.

Unfortunately, if we want to make use of GIO with TLS, then we would
realistically need to have 2.38, since the changelog shows there are
some pretty major bugs in the TLS impl in earlier versions. eg you
could not read and write to a TLS socket at the same time prior
to 2.38 [1] :-( So that version of GIO, with the glib-networking addon
to provide TLS, would mean only running on RHEL-7, which feels like it
is so new it would likely be a showstopper.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib-networking/tree/NEWS#n325