qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vm live storage migration approach.

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vm live storage migration approach.
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:21:44 -0700

On 01/30/2015 09:25 AM, Yaodong Yang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating the current schemes for the VM live storage migration in
> QEMU system. I have the following questions:
>
> 1. What is the functionality of drive_mirror in QEMU? Is it designed as a
> VM live storage migration approach?

Yes. drive-mirror was added precisely to support live storage migration.

> 2. What's the difference between drive_mirror and vMotion? I learned that
> vMotion employs IO Mirroring mechanism to migration a running VM with all
> the virtual disk images. Are there any other mechanisms inside QEMU serve
> this purpose as well?

vMotion is not part of qemu, so I'm not sure what it does.  Therefore, I
cannot make a fair comparison.

> I'm looking for a mechanism in QEMU, which is similar to vMotion ( IO
> Mirroring) in ESX environment.

Look at drive-mirror, block-backup, quorum drives, and lots of recent
threads on this list about adding redundant processing (such as the term
"COLO") for how to piece together lower-level blocks into whatever drive
mirroring scheme you can think of.