qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and vol

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:55:14 -0500

On 01/27/2015 07:48 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.

What is GSoC?
Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
funding for one or more students.

We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
need mentors to volunteer.

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015

Project ideas
Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
internals can be assumed.

I'm not the most active of contributors, but here's an idea:

Project idea: Integrate ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver

Currently the ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver are two
distinct implementations, and have different bugs/features.
This leads to the situation that things which work when using the IDE
emulation don't work when using the SCSI emulation and vice versa.
So this project is for implementing a virtual ATA-to-SCSI bridge
in qemu, use this for emulating an IDE ATAPI drive, and merging the
missing features from the IDE implementation into the SCSI one.

Skill level: intermediate

(This would also help to implement advanced features like NCQ autosense
or sense data reporting in the ATA emulation. Just in case someone's
daft enough trying to implement a ZAC emulation ...).

And yes, I'd be willing to mentor it.

Cheers,

Hannes

This would be very cool, and it might help make our admittedly weak ATAPI support stronger.

I've asked Paolo before if he thought I should try to merge the ATAPI and SCSI code, but he passed on the idea at the time. Might be something a GSoC student could take a stab at, though the maze of SCSI, IDE and ATAPI specs can be a little difficult to navigate at times.

If a bridge was designed to replace the current ATAPI code entirely, it would need to have some inter-operability with the AHCI code, which has its own unique quirks that we need to be mindful of.

It might wind up being a bit of a tall order, but it could be good fun.

--js