qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [virtio] virtqueue allocation and thread-safety

From: Vasile Catalin-B50542
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [virtio] virtqueue allocation and thread-safety
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:01:15 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to make a new virtio device.
I got it running (I made a functional dummy device & guest driver).
Now I'm trying to build some communication between the device and guest driver.
I can't seem to find where the actual allocation of virtqueues are made.
I've looked inside virtio_init(), but it just allocates the vq structures and I don't see any pointers inside that structure that might give and idea of something dynamically allocated. There is a member of that structure named "vector", but it's type is uint16_t. I've also looked inside the virtio_add_queue(), and it just makes some constant assignments.
Where are the vqs buffer space actually allocated?
One more thing. Are the virtqueue functions thread safe, from both point of views
(qemu and guest driver API's view)?
Also I don't see any dynamic allocations/freeing when pushing and popping, either.

Cătă