qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] nested VMX with IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR(addr: 0x3a) value

From: Huaicheng Li
Subject: [Qemu-devel] nested VMX with IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR(addr: 0x3a) value of ZERO
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:19:47 +0800

Hi, all

I have a Linux 3.8 kernel (host) and run QEMU 1.5.3 on it. I want to test another hypervisor software in qemu so I enabled KVM's nested VMX function(by passing "nested=1" parameter to the kvm module) and then started a guest machine. In the guest, I could see the "vmx" instruction set by reading /proc/cpuinfo and the kvm module can be correctly inserted. But when I read the value of the IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR using msr-tools, it showed _0_, but the correct value should be _5_, since bit 0(virtualization lock bit) and bit 2 of that MSR must be set to enable the virtualization functionality. But in my vmware workstation guest with nested virtualization enabled, the value of that MSR is, indeed, _5_ as well as in the physical machine (of course). Here, I want to ask

* Am I missing anything in my operation to totally enable the nested virtualization function ?? (I googled a lot and it seemed there were no additional steps)

* Since the IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR value should be set in BIOS and are kept unchanged during the runtime, is there any modified BIOS that qemu can use to enable the setting ?? Currently my qemu use the default one.
--
Best Regards
Huaicheng Li