qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QMP unix socket randomly returning -EAGAIN

From: Mohammed Gamal
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QMP unix socket randomly returning -EAGAIN
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:54:39 +0100

Hi,

We are experiencing random errors with communication with VMs with QMP via unix sockets. At some moment of time the QMP socket keeps on returning -EAGAIN and never recovering from this state unless the qemu process is stopped then started. This socket hickup happens specfically when connecting to the socket or receiving a response from it.

I suspected that this might be caused by the guest hanging on some IO or being unresponsive for any reason,  but the VMs in question were not unresponsive at these times and could be accessed via VNC or SSH normally. I've seen this on machines runnnig qemu 1.0,1 1.2.0 and 2.0.0

I am suspecting it might be a bug in the monitor code, but I couldn't reach anything tangible. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Regards,
Mohammed