qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MinGW build

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MinGW build
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 22:14:51 +0100

Am 27.11.2014 um 21:52 schrieb Liviu Ionescu:

> On 27 Nov 2014, at 22:09, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> ... use Mingw-w64. It compiles QEMU ...
>
> one of my requirements for a Windows version of QEMU is to be statically
> linked, and do not depend on third party libraries that are not present in a
> common Windows installation.

Do you really need statically linked executables (they might need a lot
of disk space if you install all of them), or is it sufficient to
distribute all third party libraries which are needed to run QEMU
together with the executables (as I do it with my installers for Windows
on http://qemu.weilnetz.de/)? Even with a statically linked executable,
you won't get a one-file-distribution because QEMU needs a lot of
additional files during runtime (keyboard maps, firmware images, ...).

> do you have a build procedure with Mingw-w64 that creates a static program?
> what libraries are needed, where do you get them or how do you build them as
> static libraries?

Up to now, I never have build a static QEMU executable for Windows, so I
simply don't know which problems might occur and which libraries are
available for static linking or not.

Stefan