qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cortex-M development progress

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cortex-M development progress
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:37:45 +0200

On 25 Nov 2014, at 22:37, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd also strongly prefer not to implement three dozen
> boards unless we really need them all. Again, start
> with one and implement a decent subset of the devices
> it has on it.

we probably have different goals.

I don't need three dozen boards either, but I need most common CMSIS devices
implemented, and since the current QEMU structure requires boards, I had to
define boards to use them.

> M0/M4/M7 but is actually more or less an M3. If your
> code really doesn't care then just run it on our
> existing Cortex-M3 CPU.

this is not exactly what I need.

now the current workflow in GNU ARM Eclipse is to create a project from a
template, build it, create a debug configuration using the J-Link plug-in, and
start the debug session.

the planned use of QEMU is together with a QEMU plug-in, similar to the J-Link
plug-in. exactly the same executable should run with the QEMU plug-in,
configured for the same device as the J-Link plug-in.

it is not reasonable to expect the program to be rebuild for a different
processor or memory map.

> I would recommend concentrating on one of these and getting
> it right, rather than defining five new cores and dozens
> of MCUs none of which are actually implemented to their
> specifications.

the main purpose of this exercise was to define a framework for adding
MCUs/boards.

it is much structured than the existing implementations that mix mcus and
boards, and provides a better starting point for future additions.

but if you are not interested, no problem, I'll keep everything local in my
branch.

regards,

Liviu