qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:31:44 +0000

On 13 November 2014 09:44, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Maydell wrote:
>> I took a quick look at the syntax of command options and monitor
>> commands, and I would suggest the following:
>>
>> - extend the option "-semihosting" with an optional
>> "target=native|gdb|auto", default auto
>
> unfortunately the parser is not able to detect a missing optional, and
> will always consume the next option, so this syntax is not available.

Sorry, yes, you're right; I should have looked more carefully.
So we do need a new option; however I think it would be better
for the new option to be a general qemuopts option, like this:

 -semihosting-config target=[native|gdb|auto]

because that then gives us a place to put future semihosting
related config options, and also allows the config files used
by -readconfig/-writeconfig to change this setting. (We can
have -semihosting-config have an implied 'enable=true', so
you don't have to use the old "-semihosting" option if you're
specifying -semihosting-config.)

thanks
-- PMM