qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Better Cortex-M support?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:51:10 +0000

On 12 November 2014 13:43, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
> all seem related to FP, which, for my priority list, comes second,
> after specific vendor system registers for the supported processors.
>
> my first priority is to make the emulator run the images generated
> by the project templates *without* any changes.
>
> this requires the presence of the registers used by the CMSIS
> SystemInit() call, which generally are vendor specific, related
> to clock settings (pll & co).

This sounds to me like it's part of the SoC and/or board rather
than the CPU itself. You'll need to model the SoC and board,
which can be a fair bit of work. (Our existing M3 code isn't
a great example, either. I'd suggest looking at Alistair's patches
on the list for supporting the netduino2, if you haven't already.)

>> For upstream we would just want to fix arm-softmmu, I think.
>
> for me, the plain arm-softmmu is not usable, since it forwards the
> semihosting calls via gdb instead of using native implementation,
> so I had to add a configuration variable to change this behaviour.

That sounds like the kind of thing that other people might also
want to be able to do, so it would be better to make arm-softmmu
be runtime configurable on this, I think.

thanks
-- PMM