qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Image probing: how it can be insecure, and what we coul

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Image probing: how it can be insecure, and what we could do about it
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:24:01 +0000

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> I'll try to explain all solutions fairly.  Isn't easy when you're as
> biased towards one of them as I am.  Please bear with me.
>

> = The trust boundary between image contents and meta-data =
>
> A disk image consists of image contents and meta-data.
>
> Example: all of a raw image's contents is image contents.  Leaves just
> file name and attributes for meta-data.
>
> Example: QCOW2 meta-data includes header, header extensions, L1 table,
> L2 tables, ...  The meta-data defines where in the image the actual
> contents is stored.
>
> A guest can access the image contents, not the meta-data.
>
> Image contents you've let an untrusted guest write is untrusted.
>
> Therefore, there's a trust boundary between image contents and
> meta-data.  QEMU has to trust image meta-data, but shouldn't trust image
> contents.  The exact location of the trust boundary depends on the image
> format.

I'm not sure of the line:
'QEMU has to trust image meta-data'

I think there are different levels of trust and people will be more
prepared to accept levels of pain at the commandline to avoid different
types of problem.

A problem that could cause qemu to access arbitrary other files on the
host (as backing files for example) is obviously the worst; especially
if things like qemu-img and other analysis type stuff could trip it.

Stuff that only allows a guest to misuse it's own block storage is bad;
but it's nowhere near as bad as being able to walk around the host.

Dave