qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] updating the base image for all clones which

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [question] updating the base image for all clones which have been running for months
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 13:14:21 +0100

Am 03.11.2014 um 13:04 hat Zhang Haoyu geschrieben:
> Hi, all
>
> I used base image A to clone so many vm,
> after running for months, each vm has its own private applications and data,
> which maybe different from each other.
> Now, I want to install some applications for all of the clones,
> what should I do?

Install the applications on each clone separately, or use some other
method to make it available (like installing on a shared network
resource).

> Can I rebase image A to B which have the applications to be installed,
> then change the base image to B for all clones?

The problem is that rebase works on the block level, not on the file
system level. Changing the backing file won't produce a correctly
working guest, it causes file system corruption.

Kevin