qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Solaris 8 SPARC, Web Start Launcher Crashing

From: P. Wilhelm
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 8 SPARC, Web Start Launcher Crashing
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:16:33 -0400

In late May of 2011, Brian Vandenberg queried this group about failures he was having trying to install Solaris 8 SPARC 02/04 on a Qemu VM. The interaction seemed to have ended with Blue Swirl indicating that Brian should run with “-d in_ascm,int” and that the debug output would likely be useful near the end of the output. I did searches on the mailing list from Brian's name but did not find another thread where his original was followed up on.

Recently and without knowledge of the above, I began trying to to install Solaris 8 SPARC 10/01 into a Qemu VM using the git head (as of 10/25/2014) and openBIOS r1321. After struggling for a while, I found that the installations were failing during install when java was called to create the sysidcfg file. The error I am seeing is much like some of those posted in May 2011 by Brian V.

I am running with the following command line options:

qemu-system-sparc \

-bios openbios-builtin-sparc32.elf \

-hda test.disk \

-cdrom Solaris8Install.iso \

-prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -m 256 -nographic

The hard drive is a qcow2 image formatted using Solaris 8 install CD (booted Qemu in single user mode from CD) 'format' command to create a 36G Solaris disk.

The initial format and software load appears to work without problem. Then after reboot using the hard disk to boot, “Web Start Solaris Command Line installation” comes up and says that it will ask about system identification information (Network, Name Service, Date and Time, etc.). It tells me to “Press Return to continue”. I hit return and am greeted with:

/sbin/disk0_install[60]: 125 Abort(coredump)

Looking at the /tmp/disk0_install.log file shows that there was a fault during execution of “java sysid -nodisplay”.

The message from java in the install log was:

signal fault in critical section

signal number: 11, signal code: 1, fault address: 0xeac30000, pc: 0xef2cd448, sp: 0xeb232c58

libthread panic: fault in libthread critical section : dumping core

stacktrace:

ef2cd43c

ef2cf0d4

ef2c8d98

0

I created a debug log as suggested by Blue Swirl in his response to Brian V. in May 2011. I am able to find in the file where there is a Data Access Fault when the pc is at the above noted location. However, I am uncertain what to do with this information. Is this something where I should take a couple of hundred lines of the logfile before the above pc and Data Access Fault and include it here? Is there is an RTFM I missed? If so, oops, sorry (maybe just point me where I should go?).

Respectfully,
Paul W.