qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vhost-blk didn't work on Windows Guest

From: Yonghyeok Lee
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vhost-blk didn't work on Windows Guest
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:43:23 +0900

Hi,

I want to use vhost-blk on Windows 8 guest, but vhost-blk didn't work.
When Windows 8 guest was boot-up, vhost-blk couldn't start and Windows 8 guest is hang on boot sequence.

I checked vhost-blk (qemu, linux kernel module) and I found out the msi-x is not enabled when Windows guest is booting.

So, I want to know is, Can I use vhost-blk with Windows guest?
and Does Virtio-blk driver for Windows 8 supports msi-x?

I use that source code for using vhost-blk.

https://github.com/asias/qemu.git (blk.vhost-blk)
https://github.com/asias/linux.git (blk.vhost-blk)

This is my qemu command line,
-drive id=drive0,if=none,media=disk,vhost=off,file=Windows8.qcow2
-device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,bootindex=1
-drive if=virtio,media=disk,cache=none,aio=native,vhost=on,file=/dev/sdc

And fail on this point,
(in qemu source, hw/block/virtio-blk.c)
81   if (!vhost_dev_query(&vb->dev, vdev)) {
82     return -ENOTSUP;
83   }

Thanks,