qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Microcheckpointing: Memory-VCPU / Disk State consistenc

From: Michael R. Hines
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Microcheckpointing: Memory-VCPU / Disk State consistency
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:50:26 +0800

On 09/10/2014 11:43 PM, Walid Nouri wrote:
Hello Michael, Hello Paolo
i have „studied“ the available documentation/Information and tried to get an idea of the QEMU live block operation possibilities.

I think the MC protocol doesn’t need synchronous block device replication because primary and secondary VM are not synchronous. The state of the primary is allays ahead of the state of the secondary. When the primary is in epoch(n) the secondary is in epoch(n-1).

What MC needs is a block device agnostic, controlled and asynchronous approach for replicating the contents of block devices and its state changes to the secondary VM while the primary VM is running. Asynchronous block transfer is important to allow maximum performance for the primary VM, while keeping the secondary VM updated with state changes.

The block device replication should be possible in two stages or modes.

The first stage is the live copy of all block devices of the primary to the secondary. This is necessary if the secondary doesn’t have an existing image which is in sync with the primary at the time MC has started. This is not very convenient but as far as I know actually there is no mechanism for persistent dirty bitmap in QEMU.

The second stage (mode) is the replication of block device state changes (modified blocks) to keep the image on the secondary in sync with the primary. The mirrored blocks must be buffered in ram (block buffer) until the complete Checkpoint (RAM, vCPU, device state) can be committed.

For keeping the complete system state consistent on the secondary system there must be a possibility for MC to commit/discard block device state changes. In normal operation the mirrored block device state changes (block buffer) are committed to disk when the complete checkpoint is committed. In case of a crash of the primary system while transferring a checkpoint the data in the block buffer corresponding to the failed Checkpoint must be discarded.

The storage architecture should be “shared nothing” so that no shared storage is required and primary/secondary can have separate block device images.

I think this can be achieved by drive-mirror and a filter block driver. Another approach could be to exploit the block migration functionality of live migration with a filter block driver.

The drive-mirror (and live migration) does not rely on shared storage and allow live block device copy and incremental syncing.

A block buffer can be implemented with a QEMU filter block driver. It should sit at the same position as the Quorum driver in the block driver hierarchy. When using block filter approach MC will be transparent and block device agnostic.

The block buffer filter must have an Interface which allows MC control the commits or discards of block device state changes. I have no idea where to put such an interface to stay conform with QEMU coding style.

I’m sure there are alternative and better approaches and I’m open for any ideas

Walid