qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Microcheckpointing: Memory-VCPU / Disk State consistenc

From: Michael R. Hines
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Microcheckpointing: Memory-VCPU / Disk State consistency
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 01:23:14 +0800

On 08/14/2014 06:58 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
cc'ing in a couple of the COLOers.
Thanks, David. Glad to see their patches in last month - I need to take a look at them.

The 2013 paper says: 'COLO modifies the guest OS’s TCP/IP stack in order to make the behavior more deterministic. ' but does say that an alternative might be to have a ' comparison function that operates transparently over re-assembled TCP streams'

Ouch - I didn't realize that.

It may or may not be a problem - but if it gets us further towards fault-tolerance, I'm open-minded. =)

The Xen paper did the same thing for databases - they also modified the guest TCP stack.

My hope in the future was that the two approaches could be used in a
"Hybrid" manner - actually MC has much more of a performance hit for I/O
than COLO does because of its buffering requirements.

On the other hand, MC would perform better in a memory-intensive or
CPU-intensive situation - so maybe QEMU could "switch" between the two
mechanisms at different points in time when the resource bottleneck changes.
If the primary were to rate-limit the number of resynchronisations
(and send the secondary a message as soon as it knew a resync was needed) that
would get some of the way, but then the only difference from microcheckpointing
at that point is the secondary doing a wasteful copy and sending the packets
across;
it seems it should be easy to disable those if it knew that a resync was going
happen.

Dave