qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] latest rc: virtio-blk hangs forever after migration

From: Marcin Gibuła
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] latest rc: virtio-blk hangs forever after migration
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:25:57 +0200

2.1-rc2 behaves exactly the same.

Interestingly enough, reseting guest system causes I/O to work again. So
it's not qemu that hangs on IO, rather it fails to notify guest about
completed operations that were issued during migration.

And its somehow caused by calling cpu_synchronize_all_states() inside
kvmclock_vm_state_change().

As for testing with cache=writeback, I'll try to setup some iscsi to test
it.

Awesome, thanks! AFAIK you`ll not be able to use write cache with
iscsi for migration. VM which had a reset before hangs always when
freshly launched have a chance to be migrated successfully. And yes,
it looks like lower layer forgetting to notify driver about some
operations at a glance.

Andrey,

could you try attached patch? It's an incredibly ugly workaround that calls cpu_synchronize_all_states() in a way that bypasses lazy execution logic.

But it works for me. If that works for you as well, its somehow related to lazy execution of cpu_synchronize_all_states.

--
mg