qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 16:20:56 +0200

Hi,

I developed a software in the loop simulator for the Lego Mindstorms NXT brick. It uses the Qemu ARM emulator to run the Robot's Firmware. I plan to release the simulator as an open source project. Now, I wonder if it makes sense to integrate the Qemu board implementation back into Qemu mainline or simply maintain it as an external set of patches.

The problem is that the qemu board I designed is not self-contained. It allows the firmware to read/write IO memory in order to read back sensor values from the simulated environment and to control actuators. The environment simulator is an external program which is connected to several qemu instances via posix named pipes using a simple communication protocol. Without pipe interaction the emulator can still be used to debug NXT firmware images without sensor/actuator interaction.

I'm happy to prepare a patch, but do you think it is of any value to integrate code that is not 100% self contained?

Best Regards
Alexander