qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VM id

From: Gary Jordan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VM id
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:29:57 -0400

If I open two session in a migration operation, how does the qemu know which one should be accepted? I saw there was a ram_list to check, but no id of the guest.

On 07/02/2014 01:20 PM, Gary Jordan wrote:
> Does Qemu have a VM id allocated for each VM?  I did not find this Id in
> qemu. HOW deos qemu identify each VM, using thread Id or some other
> identifiers?

Each qemu process manages exactly one VM, so qemu doesn't care what id a
guest has.  Higher-level management software, such as libvirt, has
notions of a VM name and UUID (both of which can be specified on the
command line parameters given to qemu, and the UUID can even be
propagated to the guest, such as by SMBIOS readable by dmidecode in the
guest), as well as a VM id (in libvirt's case, a sequentially increasing
number for each VM that libvirt spawns a qemu process for).  But that's
getting outside the realm of qemu, since qemu doesn't care what name or
uuid you picked, only whether you have access to the monitor of the qemu
process.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266