qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Facing problems in running QEMU guest agents in Windows

From: Puneet Bakshi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Facing problems in running QEMU guest agents in Windows 2008 guest machine.
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 18:23:06 +0530

Can somebody point me to the working way of installing quemu guest agents in Windows 2008 guest machine?

Regards,
~Puneet

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Puneet Bakshi <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have a CenOS host machine running KVM and a Windows 2008 guest machine. I am able to run "qemu-monitor-command" but not "qemu-agent-command".

address@hidden Windows_ISO]# virsh qemu-monitor-command --hmp vm_win_05 'info network'
Devices not on any VLAN:
  hostnet0: fd=23 peer=net0
  net0: model=virtio-net-pci,macaddr=52:54:00:7f:4a:5b peer=hostnet0

address@hidden Windows_ISO]# virsh qemu-agent-command vm_win_05 '{"execute":"guest-ping"}'

address@hidden Windows_ISO]#

[QEMU guest installation]
To install QEMU guest agent, I followed steps mentioned at following URL
http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/QAPI/GuestAgent#Example_usage

[Problem-1]
"qemu-ga.exe -s install" runs silently, "net start qemu-ga" gave error.

Following is the snippet from Windows shell.

    PS C:\puneet> .\qemu-ga.exe -s install

    PS C:\puneet> net start qemu-ga
    The service name is invalid.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

    PS C:\puneet>address@hidden Windows_ISO]#

[Problem-2]
When I double click the "qemu-ga.exe", it gives the following error.

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click Ok to close the application."

I tried some other possible ways also but could not get them working.

Regards,
~Puneet