qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Parallel thread execution on QEMU

From: kostas kotzak
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Parallel thread execution on QEMU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:49:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi to all and thank you for your great work!

I'm Kostas, a PhD student in Chemistry 8-) but with great interest in Computing (I finished my MSc Degree in software engineering recently).

As new and naive here I may ask a stupid question and forgive me for that.

I have collected information on QEMU performance and I understand that QEMU was designed from the beginning as one core only guest on one core only host.
I know KVM can help if host and guest work on the same architecture but what about inter-architecture translation?
Recently more and more workarounds are being developed to bypass this restriction. Namely COREMU, PQEMU, HQEMU most of them on x86 host. Recently there is a COREMU port also for RISC/MIPS/ARM host:

Jiang, X.-W., X.-L. Chen, H. Wang and H.-P. Chen (2014). A Parallel Full-System Emulator for Risc Architure Host. Advances in Computer Science and its Applications. H. Y. Jeong, M. S. Obaidat, N. Y. Yen and J. J. Park, Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 279: 1045-1052

It seems that COREMU multi-thread approach is very simple and effective. Is there a reason that QEMU org does not adopt any of these solutions? At least for the two most popular architectures x86 and ARM?

I have very little free time (due to the PhD work) but I could contribute a little bit with your guidance. I'm particularly interested on this RISC/ARM/MIPS host COREMU solution because I believe cheap RISC/ARM topbox is giving poor countries the chance to learn computing and Parallel QEMU will give them the chance to use any legacy x86 application they need to use without paying a fortune.

Please give me your feedback.
Kostas