qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 22:51:59 +0100

Il 20/03/2014 22:28, Laszlo Ersek ha scritto:
On 03/20/14 22:18, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
On 20/03/14 21:56, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
On 03/20/14 21:38, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
Qiao Nuohan,

is there a reason why you did not implemented the HMP part for that format
of kdump compressed format? After all this is a patch mostly for developers,
so a HMP interface might come handy. Do you already have some patch in
preparation or know somebody doing it?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/249283/focus=250059

Laszlo

So in essence: Due to the limitations of the command line parser we cannot
add the format to the hmp command line.
So something like adding

dump_guest_memory_set_format <format>

would be the only possible solution with the hmp code as is. Correct?

Yes, one possibility would be to make the dump command stateful (=
compression format), and to add a new command setting/getting that state.

Another option would be to leave the current command intact, and add an
independent command that wouldn't take "begin", "end", nor "paging", but
would take compression format.

Another possibility is to kill begin/length from the dump-guest-memory command. HMP is not stable, so if that's useful we can do it.

Paolo