qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migrating instances from qemu-kvm to qemu

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migrating instances from qemu-kvm to qemu
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:08:55 +0000

* Serge E. Hallyn (address@hidden) wrote:

> Although, some people are using newer qemu with '-M pc-1.0'.  So we'd be
> stopping thing from migrating to support the people coming from qemu-kvm.
> Hmm.

What sometimes happens is that you create a VM (lets say with virt-manager)
on an old installation, and it has the XML file for that VM which I think
includes the machine type.   You upgrade your host or copy your VMs over
and so you still use the old machine definition, and hence still have the
-M pc-1.0

Some people have snapshots rather than just disk images taken with particular
versions and they expect those to be reloadable into newer versions.

Dave