qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SMBIOS (Set of 10 patches)

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SMBIOS (Set of 10 patches)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:31:35 +0100

  Hi,

> > I think we should not generate a type0 table unless -smbios type0=... is
> > explicitly specified on the qemu command line.  It is about the
> > firmware, and we should leave it to the firmware to fill it by default.
> > If you are running OVMF (EFI) instead of SeaBIOS you should see it in
> > the dmidecode output.
>
> Everything that SeaBIOS puts into table 0 is hard coded.  I'd prefer
> it if QEMU created the table (with the same hardcoded fields) because
> having split ownership of the smbios is painful.

The information seabios puts in there isn't correct for OVMF though.
type0 on ovmf looks like this:

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: EFI Development Kit II / OVMF
        Version: 0.1
        Release Date: 06/03/2013
        Address: 0xE8000
        Runtime Size: 96 kB
        ROM Size: 64 kB
        Characteristics:
                BIOS characteristics not supported
                UEFI is supported
                System is a virtual machine
        BIOS Revision: 0.1

At very least the UEFI support bit would have to be different depending
on whenever seabios or ovmf is used as firmware ...

cheers,
  Gerd