qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: SMBIOS: Build full smbios tables

From: Gabriel L. Somlo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: SMBIOS: Build full smbios tables
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 21:57:00 -0500

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 06:04:32PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> > What really convinced me to go for all this additional work was
> > Laszlo's suggestion that this might help if/when we try to start
> > trying to use UEFI/tianocore/ovmf instead of SeaBIOS.
>
> Let me be a bit more precise... :)
>
> Moving SMBIOS generation from SeaBIOS to qemu (similarly to ACPI) would
> benefit:
> - SeaBIOS (IIRC Kevin had implied his preference for this),
> - OVMF (no need to play catch-up field-wise),
> - other boot firmware.
>
> I think I didn't suggest using OVMF *instead of* SeaBIOS. :)

Sorry if I unintentionally misrepresented what you said, I was trying
to paraphrase precisely what you just said above :)

> In any case, I think if you can pull of this migration of SMBIOS tables,
> that would be a huge service to the community. I should have reviewed
> your series but it seemed hard, and I didn't have to "look very far" for
> other work :), so I postponed it. Then Gerd said "please split it up
> into smaller patches", which I can only agree with! :)

I'll send the current set of seven patches, which basically replace
the way types 0 and 1 are handled with building full tables, and adds
the option to request that a type 2 table be built.

I'd like to get the rest of what SeaBIOS builds by default (types 3+)
in before the 2.0 freeze (BTW, how much longer do I have for that?),
but while I start hacking on that I figured I'd help you help me by
making it easy to review what I have so far... :)

Thanks again,
--Gabriel