qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] WIP: Migration format: ASN.1/BER schema

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: [Qemu-devel] WIP: Migration format: ASN.1/BER schema
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:55:03 +0000

Hi,
  I've been looking at reviving the migration-as-ber work that Michael and
Stefan looked at a while ago, and have stuff starting to work, but not
ready yet, so I thought I'd start by posting my current view
of an ASN.1 schema.

Note this is my 1st attempt at ASN.1 so feel free to pick holes!

This schema successfully passes asn1c and libtasn1's asn1Parser.

I've currently got a visitor modified Qemu that generated apparently
valid BER output (and compatible old-format) - unber and openssl asn1parse
dump it apparently happily, but I've not been able to find a tool to verify
it against the schema - suggestions welcome.
(* libtasn1's asn1Decoder OOMs my laptop/and or spits out a DER error, not
that I'm trying to encode as DER)

Some notes:
  * I'm using the universal type codes for most things except the larger
    scale structures/sequences where I've given them our own types.
  * ASN type codes are disgustingly decimal, and even more disgustingly encoded
    in BER, so having things readable in a hex dump is difficult; although the
    values I've used end up with the last byte as an appropriate ASCII letter
    and the other bytes would be if the top bit wasn't set.
  * The 'shape' of it corresponds pretty closely to the shape of the existing
    migration format; although I intend to clean it up a bit
    - RAMSecEntry has the same flags that currently go into our binary format
      but those can become more of an enum, and sima).
    - I think SecFull/SecMin can probably merge together.
  * Most things are just sequences, including most of VMState; I don't really
    want to go around every VMState structure in the whole of QEMU allocating
    a type ID, however I'm thinking about making it an optional VMState field
    which I'd use if it was set.
  * The only thing that worries me in terms of efficiency so far is the
    'page is all 0' compression encoding which is rather verbose, for everything
    else it seems that although it's chatty it's not that much of an overhead.
  * I've not looked at block migration or spapr yet, (the only other iterative
    migrate users)
  * anything with a .get/.put or using the old style migration registration
    gets bundled up into a blob as an octet-string - this means I don't have
    to fix everything before it can start working.

As soon as I get the corresponding BER input visitor working and sweep the
sawdust out of my code I'll post it; probably a week or two.

Thoughts welcome,

Dave

Qemu {}
DEFINITIONS IMPLICIT TAGS ::=
BEGIN

-- Some basic types used in multiple places --
QemuString ::= UTF8String (SIZE (1..255))

-- TODO: 4096 is actually page size whatever that is
FullPage ::= OCTET STRING (SIZE (4096))

RAMBlockID ::= SEQUENCE {
  name   QemuString,
  len    INTEGER
}

RAMSecEntry ::= [ APPLICATION 8914 ] SEQUENCE {
  addr         INTEGER,   -- Address or offset or size
  flags        INTEGER,   -- maybe more explicit type?
  name         QemuString OPTIONAL,

  body         CHOICE {
    bl         SEQUENCE OF RAMBlockID,
    compr      INTEGER (0..255), -- Page filled with this value
    page       FullPage
    -- TODO xbzrle --
  }
}

RAMSecList ::= [ APPLICATION 9810 ] SEQUENCE OF RAMSecEntry

SubSection ::= [ APPLICATION 10707 ] SEQUENCE {
  name         QemuString,
  versionid    INTEGER,

  contents     SEQUENCE OF VMStateEntries
}

SubSecList ::= [ APPLICATION 10700 ] SEQUENCE OF SubSection

VMStateEntries ::= CHOICE {
  -- Hmm need to think more --
  dummy    INTEGER,
  subsecl  SubSecList,
  oldblob  OCTET STRING
}

VMState ::= SEQUENCE OF VMStateEntries

-- Restrict to unsigned?
SectionID ::= INTEGER

SecFull ::= [ APPLICATION 2003 ] SEQUENCE {
  name         QemuString,
  sectionid    SectionID,
  instanceid   INTEGER,
  versionid    INTEGER,

  contents     CHOICE {
    ramsec     RAMSecList,
    -- TODO other iterator initial stuff --
    vmstate    VMState
  }
}

SecMin ::= [ APPLICATION 211 ] SEQUENCE {
  sectionid   SectionID,

  contents     CHOICE {
    ramsec     SEQUENCE OF RAMSecEntry
    -- TODO other iterator general/end stuff --
  }
}

Sections ::= CHOICE {
  full    SecFull,
  min     SecMin
}

-- The whole file --
-- Application tag used to get first 32bits of file
-- to come out as 7f cd c5 51  - the 51 is Q
-- the c5 and cd being E,M but with the top bit set
-- which BER requires
QemuFile ::= [ APPLICATION 1270481 ] SEQUENCE {
  version INTEGER (3),
  top     SEQUENCE OF Sections
}

END