qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] WfW setup and DOS display.sys hanging

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] WfW setup and DOS display.sys hanging
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:57:06 +0100

Hi,

I can't reproduce the hang with the dosidle program linked by
Sebastian.  (I ran the program on freedos and on an msdos floppy and
both times it said it install succesfully.)  Can someone walk through
the steps needed to reproduce the problem?

I found some old Win3.1 images, and I do see the failure running setup
on that (when run from dos 6).  I'll look into it.

Sebastian, can you document the steps to reproduce the dosidle and
display.sys failure?  (I tried putting display.sys into a dos6
config.sys, but it doesn't like my parameters so I don't think it's
doing anything.)

I cloned the git repository, and built with:
$ ./configure --target-list=i386-softmmu
$ make -j2

I then installed MS-DOS onto a virtual 50 MB disk, all default settings:
$ /tmp/qemu/i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386 -m 4 -hda msdos.img -fda MS-DOS_1.IMG

After rebooting, qemu hangs with 100% cpu usage when loading DISPLAY.SYS. It is loaded by the following line in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)

Surprisingly, this hang occurs with all of MS-DOS 5.00, 6.20 and 6.22 (German), but not with a Russian MS-DOS 6.22 (which appears in english). I don't have any other language version of DOS to test with, though.

Best Regards,
Sebastian