qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] osx bootloader
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 03:18:42 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
The firmware has to be ported to each new chipset.

OVMF was never ported to anything but PIIX.

Looks like this is the case. Now I can see that OvmfPkg/Library/PlatformBdsLib/BdsPlatform.c has hardcoded pci paths in it corresponding to the pc machine type with PIIX and it tries to access these devices unconditionally even if they do not exist (as on q35 machine). So this obviously won't work. I think I give up at this point because I don't know enough about Q35 and I don't see how could it be hacked into Ovmf. Additionally it seems that this alone would not be enough to use Apple's boot.efi verbatim but something more complex, very much resembling Clover would be needed to boot OS X with Ovmf EFI which is not much cleaner solution than using Chameleon with Seabios that already works now.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan