qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for Emulated SMSC 911X

From: Romanic Dean
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for Emulated SMSC 911X
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 02:35:37 +0530

Thanks Peter for your thoughts.

We are able to call lan9118 controller from VersatilePB board. We made little modification to our guest OS.

Just a small a query here,Can we call different Ethernet Controllers like  Broadcom or e1000  from VersatilePB board.

Is VersatilePB board only supports SMSC series of controllers?

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 27 January 2014 17:29, Romanic Dean <address@hidden> wrote:
> We are looking to provide support for 911x through VersatilePB board . As we
> know currently it is supporting SMC LAN91C111 ,  we thought of replacing
> this controller with other controller(911x) for our understanding .
>
> We made changes to Versatile_defconfig file and replace it to
> CONFIG_SMSC911x = y .
>
> Now we are not sure about following steps after it,do we need make call to
> smsc_91x_init() from versatilepb .c and place a new smsc_91x.c file in
> hw/net?

No, why would you need to do this? As I say:
 * we already support both the 911x and the 91x
 * we implement the ethernet controllers the real hardware
   has in the relevant board models
 * if you really want to change the versatilepb board
   model to have the wrong ethernet controller, then you
   should just make it call lan9118_init() instead of
   smc91c111_init(); then you will of course need to change
   your guest OS to correctly probe for this wrong ethernet
   controller (may be ok with just a device tree change
   if you're lucky)

> Also,below step is valid ,Do we need it?
>

> 2  modified  core .c file to support /arc/arm/mach-versatile  to support
>> smsc911x.c
>>  modified  the structure static struct platform_device smc91x_device = {
>>     .name        = "smc91x",
>>     .id        = 0,
>>     .num_resources    = ARRAY_SIZE(smc91x_resources),
>>     .resource    = smc91x_resources,
>> };
>>
>> with
>>
>> static struct platform_device smc91x_device = {
>>     .name        = "smsc911x",
>>     .id        = 0,
>>     .num_resources    = ARRAY_SIZE(smc91x_resources),
>>     .resource    = smc91x_resources,
>> };

This seems to be a kernel data structure. You need to
ask questions about the kernel on a kernel mailing list,
not here.

thanks
-- PMM