qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platf

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating Ethernet controller based on Cortex-A15 platforms
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:52:43 +0100

Am 23.01.2014 21:02, schrieb rajan pathak:
>> I'm not clear what you're trying to do here; could
>> you try rephrasing your question? Are you just trying
>> to use the existing working QEMU emulation of a
>> Cortex-A15 board and ethernet controller, or to do
>> something else?
>
> To be very specific I am trying to emulate Ethernet controller of
> KeyStone 2 device from TI
>
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MCSDK_User_Guide_for_KeyStone_II
>
> It is based on CortexA-15 Processor series. So I thought I can use
> vexpress_defconfig and can call
> my Emulated Ethernet controller instead of LAN9118 from vexpress.c.
>
> After that I will place my Emulated Ethernet controller code(which
> haven't started)  inside hw/net .
>
> Is the right way to go forward?

No, it isn't. If you want to emulate the KeyStone II SoC, then please do
just that. You will find recent examples on the list of new SoCs that
have been added, including sunxi/A10 and DIGIC. So, the Ethernet
controller would be a new device in hw/net/, it is initialized by a SoC
device in hw/arm/ and to use it you need a standard machine definition,
such as the EVMK2Hx in your case (some evaluation/reference board rather
than custom industry boards). Then test that code using a Linux (or
firmware or other OS) that runs on the real board.

Regards,
Andreas