qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Are there any IOMMU emulation in QEMU for x86 platform

From: Knut Omang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Are there any IOMMU emulation in QEMU for x86 platform
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:37:29 +0100

On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 00:01 +0000, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

> [...]

I have been working on some code to emulate an Intel IOMMU - I have a
simple patch to SeaBIOS to provide a minimal DMAR table and skeleton
device code that answers about what the kernel would expect to the Intel IOMMU
Linux driver boot a VM with intel_iommu=on

I got as far as when I was going to try to figure out how to emulate the
interrupt remapping
which appears to be where the kernel gets stuck after I got past the initial
setup
and invalidation cycles.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but I'll be
happy to share what I have so far. I have created branches of qemu and seabios
here:

git://github.com/knuto/seabios.git
git://github.com/knuto/qemu.git

> > >   And also, does it requires the real host platform have the IOMMU to
> > support the QEMU IOMMU emulation? Or it will be a purely software
> > emulation?
> >
> > For emulated devices it could be purely software.

I picture that the way forward should include some way of adapting to
what "real" hardware that exists and use the "best" approach from that.

> > Nested device
> > assignment would require a host IOMMU, and would require the host
> > IOMMU driver to do some kind of shadow-paging.
> >
> > Paolo

Knut Omang