qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Buildbot failure: multiboot.o link error on OpenBSD cur

From: Brad Smith
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Buildbot failure: multiboot.o link error on OpenBSD current
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:44:46 -0500

On 20/11/13 4:15 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
Sorry I forgot to CC qemu-devel on this:

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Brad,
The QEMU buildbot is failing on brad_openbsd_current as follows:

   Building optionrom/multiboot.img
ld: multiboot.o: relocation R_X86_64_16 can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
multiboot.o: could not read symbols: Bad value

http://buildbot.b1-systems.de/qemu/builders/default_openbsd_current/builds/590

Do you have time to investigate?

If not, please CC people who could help.

Thanks,
Stefan

I have been meaning to try to attempt to come up with a patch to resolve this issue but haven't come up with anything. I have a patch in the OpenBSD ports tree that allows QEMU to build but its just taking that and having it fit within the configure/Makefile infrastructure and applied for OpenBSD only.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/ports/emulators/qemu/patches/patch-pc-bios_optionrom_Makefile?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

The issue has come up as OpenBSD 5.3 and newer now builds all binaries by default on almost all of our architectures with PIE by default; so the ROMs need to be built with PIE disabled.

believed to be clean.