qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Prohibit Windows from running in QEMU

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Prohibit Windows from running in QEMU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:47:47 +0000

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:48:07AM +0100, Peter Lieven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this question might seem a bit weird, but does anyone see a good way to avoid
> that Windows is able to boot inside qemu?
>
> We have defined several profiles for different operation systems and I want
> to avoid that someone chooses Linux and then installs Windows within
> a VM. Reason is licensing.

Do you have todo the check in QEMU itself, or is it possible to add
a hook into your installation method ?  If so, then you could use the
virt-inspector tool that comes with libguestfs to probe the install
media and/or disk image to detect the operating system type, and then
avoid starting QEMU at all if not what was expected

Daniel