qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should the i8259 devices remain no-user?

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should the i8259 devices remain no-user?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:21:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 16/10/2013 11:51, Markus Armbruster ha scritto:
Let me try to elaborate, to make sure I understand.

Unlike ordinary ISA devices, the i8259 devices need additional wiring,
done by code.

For instance, board code like pc_q35_init(), pc_piix.c's pc_init1(),
mips_malta_init(), ... wire up their IRQ input lines.  The slave's IRQ
output line is wired to the master's IRQ2 in hw/intc/i8259.c for
isa-i8259, and the kernel for kvm-i8259.  The master's IRQ output line
is wired up by board code (it's complicated).

Correct?  If yes, I can turn it into a suitable comment.

The wiring of the slave to the master is hardcoded into i8259 code.

A bit off topic but this reminded me of these patches:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/206753/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/208252/

which never got merged. Is there a chance that these fixes get merged sometimes or is there an explanation why it won't be fixed? As far as I remember the patches were reviewed and multiple versions were proposed but at the end no decision was reached on which one to merge and it was just left uncorrected.

Thanks,
BALATON Zoltan