qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is TYPE_CPU no-user?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is TYPE_CPU no-user?
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:01:47 +0200

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 15 October 2013 13:24, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> To go beyond RFC with this series, I need to explain why TYPE_CPU
>> cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet.
>
> ...isn't this just because it's an abstract type?

Abstract types have TypeInfo member abstract set.  Not inherited by
subtypes, obviously.

DeviceClass member cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet is something
else entirely.  After this series, it means what the name suggests.
Unlike abstract, it's effectively inherited.

TypeInfo's abstract is here to stay, but DeviceClass's
cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet should eventually go away.

TYPE_CPU has both of them set.