qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qxl problem with xen domU, is xen spice and/or qemu bug

From: Fabio Fantoni
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qxl problem with xen domU, is xen spice and/or qemu bugs?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:28:24 +0200

Il 24/09/2013 13:50, Gerd Hoffmann ha scritto:
   Hi,

Someone can help me to find the problem that makes qxl unusable please?
#1 git cherry-pick c58c7b959b93b864a27fd6b3646ee1465ab8832b

Thanks for reply, did this on my new test build.

#2 When using f19 try without X11 first.  You should have a working
    framebuffer console on qxldrmfb before trying to get X11 going.

I tried on Fedora19 minimal installation and with qxl the text console is working and lsmod show also qxl.
Is this your intended or is there something else I must test before X11?

#3 qxl has a bunch of tracepoints.  Enable them, then compare xen
    results with kvm/tcg results to see where things start going wrong.

I enabled qxl debug with these qemu paramters:
-global qxl-vga.debug=1 -global qxl-vga.guestdebug=20

With Fedora19 I have some difficult to found exact problem and compare with kvm. I tried to test Fedora19 on debian sid kvm host same qemu version (1.6) on both sides but with qxl fails to start the DE, also in fallback mode. Probably there are also regression on qemu and/or spice about qxl. The qemu log returns nothing relevant with only few lines on xen test with also qxl debug enabled.

I tried also W7 domU on xen with spice-guest-tools-0.65.exe and qxl: domU starts, loads correctly the DE, vdagent and mouse are both working, but screen refreshing is very lagging (also only open of start menu).
The qemu log become of 22 mb in only few minutes, mainly qxl debug.
Can you check the W7 qemu log on attachment to see if there are strange things to solve also on spice and/or qemu?
Thanks for any reply.

#4 qxl needs a permanent mapping of the two pci memory bars as the
    (host virtual) memory location of these bars is passed to the
    spice-server library.  That might need some special care on xen
    due to the mapcache.  Disclamer: It's been a few years I looked
    closer at this, so things in the xen world might have changed
    meanwhile ...

HTH,
   Gerd