qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ChrEMU - Virtualization in the Browser

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ChrEMU - Virtualization in the Browser
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:39:30 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:08:22PM -0400, Joey Carlini wrote:
> I managed to get QEMU running on a Crouton install, virtual box not being
> possible with the Chrome OS kermel with the KVM mods required, and even a
> couple distros running. Since I enjoy pain and/or haven't done enough cool
> things to be called a badass dev, I figured, why not try building QEMU into
> a Chrome app, now that packaged apps are a thing, and native client allows
> for C code to run within the browser, letting an entire VM run on a stock
> Chromebook.

QEMU isn't pure C code and effort would be required to make it run under
Native Client.

I've never used Native Client but I think its machine code verifier
checks the application to ensure that control flow is safe.  In other
words, low-level things that QEMU does like code generation or stack
switching are probably not allowed under Native Client since they are
unsafe!

Maybe I'm wrong and it's possible, but the first thing to check is the
constraints that Native Client puts on the application code.

Stefan