qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] OSv, an new operating system for the cloud, v0.0

From: Pekka Enberg
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] OSv, an new operating system for the cloud, v0.01
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:22:14 +0300

Hello,

We're proud to announce release 0.01 of OSv, a new operating system
for running applications on virtual machines. OSv is free software,
released under the BSD license, and you can find it in
https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv and http://www.osv.io.

To build and run OSv under KVM/QEMU, first grab the latest source code
from Github:

  git clone address@hidden:cloudius-systems/osv.git

Then install prerequisite packages:

   On Fedora:
     yum install ant autoconf automake boost-static gcc-c++ genromfs \
        libvirt libtool zfs-fuse flex bison

   On Debian:
     apt-get install libboost-all-dev genromfs zfs-fuse autoconf

Make sure the zfs-fuse daemon is running:

   On Fedora:
     sudo systemctl start zfs-fuse.service
     sudo systemctl enable zfs-fuse.service     # to have it start on reboot

   On Debian the daemon should be started automatically.

Fetch git submodules:

    git submodule update --init

Finally, build OSv:

  make external all

You can then start a OSv guest under KVM/QEMU:

  sudo ./scripts/run.py -nv -m 2G

You can SSH into the guest with:

  ssh address@hidden # password: admin

The management web UI is at address:

  http://192.168.122.89:8080/

Alternatively, you can use prebuilt QEMU QCOW2 images of the release.
Instructions how to do that are on our Wiki:

https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/wiki/Running-OSv-under-KVM-QEMU

That's it!

                        Pekka