qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introducing CoroCheck and proposal for a blocking

From: Charlie Shepherd
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introducing CoroCheck and proposal for a blocking_fn annotation
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 16:36:47 +0100

On 06/09/2013 15:30, Gabriel Kerneis wrote:
Note that CoroCheck has been written as a plugin to CIL [5]. Contrary to
CPC, which is still somewhat of a prototype (although a pretty good
one!), CIL is a solid piece of software, packaged in both Fedora and
(very soon) Debian. CoroCheck makes use of the CIL plugin facility which
has not made its way into a released version yet, but this should happen
in the next few months. Therefore, in a not-too-distant future, it is
reasonable to imagine that static checking of QEMU coroutine_fn
annotations could be (an optional) part of QEMU test suite. Adding
blocking_fn annotations would make even more sense in this context.

I definitely think static checking of coroutine_fn annotations is the only way to ensure that the QEMU tree is coroutine safe. I think Stefan mentioned a bug that occurred previously due to a function that expected to be called in a coroutine context being called normally.

However, I'm not sure it makes sense to use blocking_fn until the convert-block series (which currently needs a respin after Stefan's review) is fully upstreamed. Maybe this patch makes most sense at the start of that series?

Charlie