qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:53:53 +0200 (CEST)

> On August 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM Erik Rull <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Benoît Canet wrote:
> >> thanks for your help. I cloned the git and compiled it - but I'm not
> >> completely sure how to enable the throttling finally - there were
> >> several mails regarding averages and max values... And the "unit" of
> >> the values would be interesting.
> >
> > Hi Erik,
> >
> > The main settings are bps, bps_rd and bps_wr for total, read and write
> > bandwith
> > throttling (unit is bytes) and iops, iops_rd, iops_wr for IO per second
> > throttling (unit is IO operation).
> >
> > You should specify your settings on the -drive command line like in:
> > -drive file=foo.raw,if=virtio,cache=none,bps=1048576 for a 1 MB total
> > bandwith.
> >
> > In addition to that there is another set of parameters to configure the
> > burst
> > ability of the throttling.
> > These setting are: bps_max, bps_rd_max, bps_wr_max, iops_mx, iops_rd_max,
> > and
> > iops_wr_max.
> >
> > Some bursting is enabled by default.
> >
> >  From what Paolo said you should set bps_max = 1 to specify that the default
> > bursting is not set.
> >
> > So:
> > -drive file=foo.raw,if=virtio,cache=none,bps=1048576,bps_max=1 for a 1 MB
> > total
> > bandwith with almost no burst.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Benoît
> >
> > ps: take care of updating your repository and recompiling it since I made
> > some
> > changes for you to use. (use git fetch origin)
> >

> Great thanks! I cloned half an hour before your email, and updated right
> now, but there was only an "already up to date"... (git fetch origin didn't
> say anything git pull says Already up-to-date.)
>
> I will test it tomorrow and let you know my results.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

Hi all,

it still fails :-(

My commandline section is (I played with bps between 0.5 and 2.0 MB/sec and iops
with 1000 and 500):
-drive file=/dev/sda2,cache=none,bps=548576,bps_max=1,iops_max=1000
Within qemu it looks like that:
QEMU 1.6.50 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) info block
ide0-hd0: /dev/sda2 (raw)
    I/O throttling:   bps=548576 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 bps_max=1 bps_rd_max=0
bps_wr_max=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0 iops_max=1000 iops_rd_max=0
iops_wr_max=0 iops_size=0
(qemu)

Any further ideas?

Thanks.