qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:37:54 -0500

On Aug 27, 2013 4:32 PM, "Paolo Bonzini" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Il 27/08/2013 22:26, Erik Rull ha scritto:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > which BIOS is selected by default?
>
> QEMU only ships with SeaBIOS.
>
> > It's more a guess, there must be a
> > change between 1.2.0 and 1.6.0 that prevents a simple Windows XP from
> > booting completely, if the guest HDD image is placed on a SSD. On a
> > rotating HDD (with the same commandline except the path to the image) it
> > boots successfully. The only difference is the speed of the disk access.
>
> It could be a real difference, actually.  An unexpectedly fast disk
> might screw a sloppy driver.  IIRC you're not the first person reporting
> it.  Stefan, do you think using block throttling could fix it (with some
> trial and error)?

Add cache=writethrough and I bet it'll work even on an SSD.

We changed the default in that timeframe.  The Windows IDE drivers can have an issue if the IRQ comes too quickly to indicate the request has completed.  This is what -win2k-hack is for.  That may also work here too.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori