qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:23:20 -0500

Quoting Wenchao Xia (2013-08-13 03:44:39)
> 于 2013-8-13 1:01, Michael Roth 写道:
> > Quoting Paolo Bonzini (2013-08-12 02:30:28)
> >>
> >> Note that the nested event loops in QEMU are _very_ different from
> >> glib nested event loops.  In QEMU, nested event loops only run block
> >> layer events.  In glib, they run all events.  That's why you need
> >> AioContext.
> >
> > Would it be possible to use glib for our nested loops as well by just
> > setting a higher priority for the AioContext GSource?
> >
> > Stefan and I were considering how we could make use of his "drop
> > ioflush" patches to use a common mechanism to register fd events, but
> > still allow us to distinguish between AioContext and non-AioContext
> > for nested loops. I was originally thinking of using prepare() functions
> > to filter out non-AioContext events, but that requires we implement
> > on GSource's with that in mind, and non make use of pre-baked ones
> > like GIOChannel's, and bakes block stuff into every event source
> > implementation.
> >
>    Besides priority, also g_source_set_can_recurse() can help.
>    With a deeper think, I found a harder problem:
> g_main_context_acquire() and g_main_context_release(). In release,
> pending BH/IO call back need to be cleared, but this action can't
> be triggered automatically when user call g_main_context_release().

I don't understand why this is a requirement, gmctx_acquire/release ensure
that only one thread attempts to iterate the main loop at a time. this
isn't currently an issue in qemu, and if we re-implemented qemu_aio_wait()
to use the same glib interfaces, the tracking of in-flight requests would
be moved to the block layer via Stefan's 'drop io_flush' patches, which
moves that block-specific logic out of the main loop/AioContext GSource
by design. Are there other areas where you see this as a problem?