qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] trim in windows guest witch virtio

From: Libaiqing
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] trim in windows guest witch virtio
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:53:11 +0000

Hi paolo,

    I test window guest with ide device with the following config,trim with ide
drive failed.

     1 The host fs is ext4 with discard option:
       /dev/sdb1 on /home/sdb type ext4 (rw,relatime,discard,data=ordered)

     2 qemu config : ide drive with discard open
x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -name win7 -M pc-0.15 -m 1024
-smp 2 -boot c -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2  -drive
file=/home/win7_base.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,format=qcow2,id=ad  -drive
file=/home/sdb/raw.img,if=ide,index=1,format=raw,id=hd,discard=on  -monitor
stdio   -vga qxl  -vnc :1 -device usb-tablet,id=input0

     3 In win7 guest,init drive d,fill it with files,then shift+del files

     4 The file /home/sdb/raw.img does not become small,when listing with -s
option.

     It seems that the windows ntfs does not send trim to ide controller. No
IDE_DMA_TRIM request received.

     Is there any config wrong?

     Btw,I found the info from the URL:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848053(v=vs.85).aspx
     Qemu can do the same thing like hyper-v with windows guest?

Thanks
baiqing