qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OVMF NvVars in flash, on KVM [was: OvmfPkg/NvVarsFileLib: h

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OVMF NvVars in flash, on KVM [was: OvmfPkg/NvVarsFileLib: handle the inital file not found]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:39:11 +0200

I'm derailing this preexistent edk2-devel thread for public benefit :)

On 07/10/13 15:19, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 02:45:21PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> I'm still very confused about the interplay between emulated flash
>> and KVM. If anyone can post a summary, I'd be grateful.
>>
> If you want to run code from emulated flash you need RO memory support
> in KVM. It is possible to implement flash without RO memory, but you
> will not be able to put UEFI code into it. I do not know where
> requirement that UEFI and non-volatile variables should be on the same
> flash is coming from. Can we put UEFI into a ROM and provide separate
> flash to store non-volatile variables?

I have no idea what to answer, but I desperately want this to work :)
Currently I can't spend much time on it (and of course I'm not prodding
anyone to do it for me), I'd just like to understand the status.

So, what *exact* upstream Linux commit adds RO memory support to KVM (on
x86_64)?

How would a single *hardware* flash device store both (compressed) UEFI
code and (rewriteable) non-volatile variables?

What else do flash + KVM depend on? Can you guys please talk to each
other directly and let me just listen in? :)

Thanks!
Laszlo