qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] ANN: DeveloperNews - a qemu-devel digest for maintainers an

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] ANN: DeveloperNews - a qemu-devel digest for maintainers and contributors
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 01:26:52 +0200

Hello everyone,

Inspired by a complaint from Scott about information getting lost
amongst qemu-devel mails, and spawning a qemu-announce mailing list
being out of my powers, I have started a simple Wiki page:

http://wiki.qemu.org/DeveloperNews

The idea is to have a brief summary of decisions and code changes that
affect all maintainers and/or contributors, with references into
qemu-devel archive or git.qemu.org or developers' blogs for more info,
latest news sorted first.
For example, to aid in getting up to speed after a four-week vacation,
and to aid hobbyists in coping with the sheer incredible list volume.

Self-explanatory that this will only work when information there is less
than on qemu-devel (i.e., not every PULL or patchset linked).
The intended scope is not random news about what changed in qemu.git but
code changes that require fellow developers to rebase or to adopt new
patterns and conventions and review criteria. The removal of some
function does not necessarily need to be documented there (anyone
building against latest master would notice a breakage) but whenever
there's old and new ways to do things, we can advise which to choose.

The initial contents is of course biased to what's close to my heart;
but it's a Wiki, so for instance Stefan H. could add a bullet point
about new devices please using new asynchronous block layer APIs only.

Obviously adding Wiki contents is work, it cannot replace cover letters
or commit messages, but after the n-th reply pages like SubmitAPatch or
QOMConventions have become very handy to refer to.

Regards,
Andreas