qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem

From: Basim Baig
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 16:43:18 -0400

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Lluís Vilanova <address@hidden> wrote:
Basim Baig writes:

> Hello,
> I am currently working on a project where I aim to log every memory access made
> by a virtual machine running inside of QEMU (for analyzing kernel behavior). My
> initial approach is to possibly hook into the QEMU mmu implementation and find
> the place where the guest->host page translation or lookup is done. In this way
> I can know any pages accessed by the guest (This is only the first level.
> Eventually I would want to get logging at pointer granularity). I have been
> reading through the source code and online documentations for a week now to get
> a general sense of the qemu internals and codebase.

> I just wanted some advice on what direction I should head to (or who I can talk
> to) If I really want to get into depth of how I can make significant changes to
> qemu memory management and mmu subsystem.

This might provide what you're asking (event 'vmem'):

  https://projects.gso.ac.upc.edu/projects/qemu-dbi/wiki

Hey, the link is broken for me for some reason. I looked at the cached google copy though and it looks really promising.
If I get this straight, I can only add the changes you made for the "vmem" event to trace all possible memory accesses made by the guest?

Also I have another question, should I expect it to work with current version of QEMU or is this only compatible with an older version?

Thanks,

Basim

Lluis

 Tollbooth